Certified Training Manager (CTM)
Have more days than not when you’re ready to pull out your hair?
Maybe it’s HOW you’re managing your training function. Especially if you’re a one person department!
With the right practices, any training program can accelerate performance while delivering economic benefit and, as a focused and practical manager of a training function, you can lead the charge within your own organization. In this certificate, focus in-depth on effective methods to manage the entire scope of your organization’s training effort. You will examine practical ways, sound techniques, and proven ideas to manage your organization’s training and yield tangible, bottom-line results.
Anticipate changing training needs
Learn how to use a comprehensive department systems audit to assess how your function is operating in ten key areas.
Develop an internal consulting approach to your role as manager.
Examine when and how to use 9 types of assessment tools to diagnose performance problems and identify training needs.
Apply a nine-part plan to build alliances and work successfully with line managers and employees.
Identify essential elements of a performance improvement plan.
Determine what to include in a client service agreement to address performance issues.
Learn how to contract for results, not just training activities.
Identify techniques to market your training function.
Cost justify training and monitor a training budget for classroom and online training programs.
This workshop requires successful completion of a performance component for a participant to earn certification.
After this workshop you will have practical and useful tools and techniques to partner with management, and yourself to the organization’s goals, and make an impact on performance!
- Workshop introduction and objectives
- Set personal objectives for the session
Unit 1: Manage a Training Function
- Identify key training and development roles
- Define and create your vision, mission and training function priorities
- Learn tips on keeping your sanity as a department of one
- Benchmark your department by conducting a training function systems audit
Unit 2: Internal Consulting Skills
Determine where you are in the life cycle of a training department
- Compare traditional training and performance consulting approaches
- Identify when to use a continuum of internal consulting roles
- Analyze your role in the organization
- Identify who are your clients
- Develop three-way partnerships with learners and their managers
- Use an eight-step consulting process to become proactive and gain results
Unit 3: Diagnose Problems
- Examine the training manager’s role in using five diagnostic tools
- Determine if training is the answer
- Identify options and/or solutions to non-training issues
- Review post training performance analysis
- Make vague traininissues
- Identify how, when and where to conduct training needs specific to get better results
- Use surveys: Sort out training needs vs. wants
- Identify survey assessment
Unit 4: Develop a Plan and Gain Support for the Learning Function
- Learn the ten essential components of a performance enhancement plan
- Review a performance enhancement plan example
- Identify criteria for reviewing training proposals
- Determine how you will contract with your client
- Identify and apply strategies to market your programs effectively
Unit 5: Manage Trainers, Course Developers and Staff
- Establish criteria to select internal trainers
- Develop internal trainers and course developers
- Use a competency tool to assess and develop trainers
- Use a competency tool to assess and develop course developers
- Determine the training manager’s role in using five course design tools
- Decide whether to use existing materials or create new ones
- Identify a process to select packaged training programs and/or equipment
- Based on appropriate criteria, select a consultant or external trainer
Unit 6: Make Learning Stick: Transfer of Learning
- Identify barriers to transfer of learning
- Determine whose job is it to apply what's been learned
- Review four tactics to transfer learning
- Help managers prepare their employees for transfer of learning
- Learn how to conduct "level three" evaluation to measure learning transfer
Unit 7: Manage the Training Budget
- Cost justify training
- Create a training cost framework
- Conduct a cost-benefit analysis (ROI)
- Find performance indicators to demonstrate training’s benefit
Bonus: Training Manager’s Tool Kit contains the Training Function Systems Audit. In addition you will receive a 16 point Instructor Competency Inventory and a 32-point Course Designer Competency Inventory.