HOW TO BE AN EFFECTIVE MENTOR
a two-day workshop
This workshop defines what a mentor is, identifies the five stages of mentor development and develops key mentoring skills.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
At the end of the training, you will be able to:
- Identify which skills need development to work effectively as a mentor.
- Practice active listening skills to identify the source of a new employee’s development issues.
- Practice asking a variety of types of questions to get new employees to resolve their own issues.
- Provide non-judgmental feedback when appropriate.
- Make directive comments and provide suggestions appropriately.
- Facilitate the new employee’s growth and development through questioning.
- Practice coaching techniques and ways to correct mistakes without criticism.
- Identify effective strategies to help a new employee deal with change.
Unit 1: Introduction and Workshop Overview
- What is mentoring?
- Mentoring Skill Inventory
- Set personal objectives
- Types of mentoring programs
- Characteristics of effective mentor programs
- When to use mentoring
- Mentor’s job description
- How to select a mentor
- Role of the new employee
- Role of the manager
Unit 2: Getting Started
- Typical new employee questions
- Conversation starters for mentors
- Clarify your expectations
- Set smart goals
- Identify developmental resources
- Establish an individual development plan
- Track employee performance
Unit 3: Skills to Build a Mentoring Relationship
- Discussion simulation
- Asking questions
- Active listening
- Roadblocks to listening
- Non-judgmental responses
- Providing feedback
- Making directive comments
- Coaching in a mentoring relationship
- Providing information
- Providing on-going feedback
- The success cycle
- Pitfalls in developing a healthy mentoring relationship
Unit 4: Confront When Necessary
- Describe the new employee’s behavior objectively
- Express your feelings positively
- Specify your preferences
- Choose the consequences
- Practice conflict management skills in typical work situations
Unit 5: Helping New Employees Deal With Change
- Nine stages of change
- Successful vs. Effective change
- Commitment to change vs. Compliance
- Make effective change happen
- Helping others celebrate change
This workshop qualifies for .6 of continuing education units.