EFFECTIVE BUSINESS WRITING
a one-day workshop
This workshop shows the learner how to write clear and concise reader-centered business messages that can be read and understood on the first reading. Practice in writing memos and letters are a part of the day.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
At the end of the training, you will be able to:
- Improve personal productivity.
- Make the writing process easier.
- More efficiently organize the writing task.
- Improve the effectiveness of written communication by applying six rules for clear writing.
- Produce excellent written communication by applying editing skills to your own writing.
- Improve the readability of your writing.
- Help third parties understand action taken by identifying special guidelines for documentation writing.
- Use an appropriate tone for business letters.
Unit 1: Course overview and introduction
- Workshop content and objectives
- Self-analysis: assess your strengths and weaknesses
Unit 2: Organize and plan your writing for results
- Getting ready: know your purpose
- Write for your reader…how to do it
- Getting started: gather your ideas
- How to overcome writer’s block
- Getting organized: “mapping” strategies to brainstorm and organize your ideas
- Structures to sequence your writing logically
Unit 3: Make the writing process work for your
- Business writing samples
- Open with your main point
- Practice free writing
- The IMPACT system of word selection and sentence structure
- Trim “flabby” writing: cut out wordiness, clichés and jargon
- Set an appropriate tone
Unit 4: Getting it right: revising
- Three levels of revising
- Test your copy’s readability
- Minding your electronic manners
Unit 5: Practice and feedback (in writing, editing and applying the criteria from Units 1, 2 and 3 to develop a reader-centered message.)
- Effective writing checklist
- Tips and tricks
This workshop qualifies for .6 continuing education units.