EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION SKILLS
a one-day workshop
This workshop helps the supervisor, manager and employee understand the essential elements of communication and analyzes the effectiveness of his/her current style. Practical suggestions for making communication work on a daily basis are explored in case studies. Barriers to communication are discussed and strategies to deal with difficult people practiced.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
At the end of the training, you will be able to:
- Avoid misunderstandings by identifying barriers to effective communication with customers, co-workers and others.
- Improve productivity by practicing strategies to overcome communication barriers.
- Understand the customer better by practicing the use of listening tools.
- Improve communication with the customer and others by using feedback tools.
Unit 1: COMMUNICATION BARRIERS
- Word meaning
- One-way communication
- Listening speed
- Anger and trigger words
- Projecting your experience
- Tone of voice
Unit 2: LISTENING TOOLS
- Paraphrase for understanding
- Acknowledge before solving the problem
Unit 3: FEEDBACK TOOLS
- Describe rather than judge
- Stick to the here and now
- Be specific
- Direct feedback toward behavior the other can do something about
- Be timely
Unit 4: QUESTIONING TOOLS
- Ask appropriate closed questions
- Ask appropriate open questions
- Ask appropriate follow-up questions
This workshop qualifies for .6 of continuing education units.